The Art History area follows the AB program in Franklin College. In addition to six (6) hours of survey (ARHI 2300 and ARHI 2400), the major requires 15 hours of 3000-level and 15 hours of 4000-level Art History courses.
Intended majors should complete ARHI 2300 Art History I: Cave Painting to Michelangelo (or 2311H or approved equivalent) and ARHI 2400 Art History II: Baroque to Modern (or 2411H or approved equivalent). After successfully completing these two surveys, with a combined GPA of 3.0 in these two courses, he or she may make an appointment with the Area Chair to change the major status from intended to full. Students who do not have a combined GPA of 3.0 in their survey courses but want to pursue an art history major will be expected to take other 3000-level courses until their art history GPA reaches 3.0.
The following General Degree Requirements will be counted toward the major:
Area IV World Language and Culture, Humanities and the Arts:
- three (3) of the required 12 hours must be: ARHI 2300 Art History I: Cave Painting to Michelangelo
Area F/VI Major Related Requirements: 18 hrs
- ARHI 2400 Art History II: Baroque to Modern
- 15 hours of introductory and/or survey courses (1000 or 2000-level courses) from African American Studies, Anthropology, Studio Art, Classical Culture, Comparative Literature, Computer Sciences, Economics, Foreign Languages*, Geography, History, English, Mathematics, Music History, Philosophy, Political Sciences, Psychology, Religion, Sociology, Theater History, Women's Studies, Biological and/or Physical Sciences
* Note that Art History majors are required to complete course work through the fourth semester in a single foreign language.
Major Requirements: 60 hours
All courses used to satisfy the major requirements must be passed with a grade of C or better.
ARHI Courses: 30 hours
- 15 hours of 3000-level courses (at least one course in each of the four areas below)
- 15 hours of 4000-level courses (covering at least three different areas, and including ARHI 4800)
The four broad areas currently taught in the Art History area are:
- Ancient, Late Antique, Medieval, and Asian
- Renaissance and Baroque
- 18th- and 19th-century
- 20th-century and Contemporary
Students are required to complete at least one 3000-level course in each of these areas. 4000-level courses must be taken in at least three different areas. Note that students MUST complete two (2) 3000-level courses before commencing a 4000-level ARHI course. For a complete list of the art history courses, by area, see the UGA Bulletin.
If a student intends to take courses in Art History while enrolled in a Study Abroad program, she or he should check with the art history area to determine whether credit is likely to be granted before completing registration for that program.
Senior exit requirements for the major: ARHI 4800; an approved art history research paper; and, a questionnaire that surveys the student's program of study.
Major Electives: 18 hours
Choose eighteen (18) hours in Franklin College: Humanities, Sciences, Social Sciences
In addition to the literature course required by Franklin College, these 18 hours must include a second literature course, approved by the Area Chair or from among those listed in the UGA Bulletin.
ARHI 4995; ARHI 4960H and/or ARHI 4990H may be used for major elective credit. These credits for Museum internship hours or honors program directed study and thesis courses must have prior approval from the art history area. See the requirements for Honors in Art History below, and contact the Area Chair to discuss Honors or the internship. These ARHI credits are major electives and do not count toward the 15 required hours of 4000-level art history courses.
General Electives: 12 hours
(Refer to College-wide requirements when selecting general electives.) Upper division (at least 9 hours if not taken in major electives); Any level (3 hours or more).